Friday, December 10, 2010

The Great Paintstik Experiment

I am happy to report that my Shiva brand paintstiks are working marvelously in place of the pastels. Although I am still getting used to the drying time of oil paints, the paintstiks dry a lot faster than the tubes of oil paint that I bought for background work. I can still color in details, use layers of color to create texture, and etch out areas I don't want, just as I would with pastels. The only thing I really miss about my old medium is the ability to smudge and blend colors, which isn't possible with paintstiks. However, having been forced into a new medium out of necessity, I am really proud of the work I've been creating.

The piece below is titled, Enter the Cosmos. Like a lot of my work, this is based from a previous sketch I had done. I am always interested in studying the way color relates to blank space -- the calm amidst the chaos, if you will -- hence all the etching work I did inside the bubbles and the expansive red background. This piece takes me directly into galaxies far, far away. I love this piece as an individual work but it is actually part of a triptych. The complete set of Enter the Cosmos will be exhibited with other pieces at my First Friday show on January 7th.

Enter the Cosmos three 6x8 panels $450

No comments:

Post a Comment